Followers


Snow in Louisiana
Powered by Blogger.

Always in My Heart

My Sweet Twin Grandgirls

Popular Posts

Followers

About Me

My photo
My passion is decorating with vintage and antique finds on a budget. There was a time when I wouldn't have dreamed of going into a goodwill. That day has passed. :) My second love is scrapbooking all those special family moments for posterity, and I recently set up my very own scrapbooking room. I have three beautiful children, two sons and a daughter as well as a sweet (albeit full blooded Yankee) daughter-in-law and two grandgirls. I also enjoy gardening, meeting new friends and relaxing on my patio in the evenings with a glass of fine wine. During the summer of 2001, I spent two glorious weeks at Kennedy Space Center. I've been somewhat of a space geek ever since....
The Background Fairy

My Favorite Blog

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Meet Molly

Meet Molly............  She's been around a lot of years, the old gal.....

Years ago when I was a college student, my mom went to a surplus equipment sale.  The home economics department at a nearby high school had replaced all of the sewing machines and the old models were all on sale.  For cheap, EXTREMELY cheap......  So my thrify mother walked away with five Mollys in wood cabinets that had been antiqued in a hideous green color, one Molly for each daughter and one for her only daughter-in-law.  Remember that trend of antiquing furniture in bright colors???  And on the front of each of the sewing cabinets, someone wrote in permanent black Sharpie marker, "SOLD, $20."  Now I have to say that would HAVE to have been a male..... That, my friends, was criminal behavior.  Even an ugly green finish didn't need to be defaced like that.  Ha ha....Needless to say, I ditched my cabinet and kept old Molly.  Of course at that time she was in the pRiMe of her life......  And I used Molly to sew all sorts of things..... 

Dresses and tops for me while I was a struggling college student.
Bumper pads and a bed skirt for my firstborn's baby blue nursery.
Pretty Christmas outfits with battenburg lace collars for my sweet daughter.
Adorable sundresses for said daughter.
Window toppers for two new houses.
Brightly printed sundresses for my twin granddaughters.


Molly and I even took a field trip to my best friend's beach condo last spring where she was put to work sewing slipcovers for a nice banana plant chair and ottoman.  'Til she ran out of steam trying to sew the thick cording on those slipcovers and we had to run over to Wally World and buy a cheap machine to finish up the job.  And hurt Molly's feelings in a BIG way....  My BFF said, "Seriously, Terri, it's time to buy yourself a decent sewing machine, don't you think????"  There's something about all those memories that makes me feel like a traitor to give up on old Molly.....

Cause Molly and I have shared a lot of HISTORY together.  And lately the old girl has started to need a lot of coddling.  She has to be plugged up just so or the electricity doesn't flow.  And the foot pedal has to be pressed just so in order for it to work.  But somehow I feel like a traitor to give her up for a new machine..... 

Here's what she worked hard on yesterday.......................
I know, the color is off and I REALLY need a new camera.....  I don't bond to cameras like I bond to sewing machines.....It's just a matter of $$$$$$ before the camera gets replaced.....

The fabric was a remnant on clearance and I got it for $6.00.......  Went online and searched for more and ordered another yard for the other window........... 

This yard cost a whole $10.99 with free shipping........  I think I'm going to buy some new towels in that pretty sagey green color with all the money I saved on window toppers.....  :)  
 This bathroom also got a new ceramic tile floor....
I plan to change the wall color at some point but right now I'm focusing on my hall bath that's getting a TOTAL redo.... I love these floors, can I tell you?  The original flooring was ugly white vinyl that showed every single thing.  It NEVER looked clean, never ever.  I LOVE my new floor!

Stay tuned for the big reveal on the hall bath....................  Off to start painting the hallway.....

2 comments:

  1. Oh-I had my old sewing machine for many years too. I finally burned up the motor trying to sew through some rubberized material..what WAS I thinking? I got a Janome after that and although I loved it I was not IN LOVE with it. I gave that to my daughter and got a Viking...and I LOVE it. I didn't get the one with all the bells and whistles but it does enough for me...and it is a workhorse.

    Your curtains are beautiful. Love the pattern and the color...and your floor tile is wonderful too...ageless pattern that will last for many, many years. I can't wait to see your hall bath done. Hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderful!!! Your blog is great....Stopping over from Debbie's. New follower. = ))))

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment. I'd love to hear from y'all....