Followers


Snow in Louisiana
Powered by Blogger.

Always in My Heart

My Sweet Twin Grandgirls

Popular Posts

Followers

About Me

My photo
My passion is decorating with vintage and antique finds on a budget. There was a time when I wouldn't have dreamed of going into a goodwill. That day has passed. :) My second love is scrapbooking all those special family moments for posterity, and I recently set up my very own scrapbooking room. I have three beautiful children, two sons and a daughter as well as a sweet (albeit full blooded Yankee) daughter-in-law and two grandgirls. I also enjoy gardening, meeting new friends and relaxing on my patio in the evenings with a glass of fine wine. During the summer of 2001, I spent two glorious weeks at Kennedy Space Center. I've been somewhat of a space geek ever since....
The Background Fairy

My Favorite Blog

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Weekend Getaway, Part II

Our last stop on the pilgrimage tour was Airlie.  Built in 1790, Airlie was used as a union hospital during the Civil War.  This private residence is now home to a young family.  The mom told us that the room that was once used as the surgical suite is now her young son's bedroom and that he loves to tell his friends that he's counted 15 bloodstains on the wood floor.  She says it's his way of making up for having to wear ballet slippers back when he danced in the Natchez Tableaux.  :)

After the grandeur of the previous two homes, Airlie seemed somewhat of a let down, but we did see the most amazing "fancy chairs" from New York that are the prized possession of the owner.  The chairs still had their original finish intact, but the decorative painting that once adorned the backs was so worn that it was barely visible.  Have any of you ever heard of fancy chairs?  The seats were rush and woven in an unusual pattern.  I googled fancy chairs and here's what I learned........

During the opening decade of the nineteenth century, delicately fashioned and elegantly painted English-style chairs became popular in America. The period name, “Fancy chairs,” referred to their decoratively painted surfaces. Fancy chairs were painted in fancy colors (poppy, green, yellow, cream, white, and black) and were decorated in a specific vocabulary of neoclassical motifs: musical trophies, clusters of shells, scrolling vines, and foliated vines, urns, cornucopia, and eagles, and were painted to simulate bamboo.

Here's a picture of some very well preserved fancy chairs....  Aren't they lovely?


We spent the afternoon in downtown Natchez ducking in and out of antique and thrift shops, ate some awesome wraps at Slick Rick's, and sat on the levee just enjoying the beautiful spring day.  If you're in the market for massive antique mirrors, armoires, and canopied beds, Natchez is the place to shop.....

We also strolled through The Eola Hotel, built in 1927.  What a beautiful place!


I tried to make a reservation here when we were first planning the trip but the hotel was booked weeks in advance of the pilgrimage.... There is a gorgeous courtyard area out front with a huge fountain.  Been googling fountains all afternoon..... ;)

Check out Johnny in this king sized chair in the lobby but please ignore what appears to be a drug deal taking place outside.....  LOL


Here's yet another shot.....

Joining up with http://www.abeachcottage.com/ for Good Life Wednesday... 

What a wonderful weekend!  Hmmmm, where to next?  :)

11 comments:

  1. haha, drug deal! giggle, giggle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the drug dealers don't hunt you down now that you have outed them on your blog! Great post!! xxoo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for droppin in! Love those chairs, so glad you showed them. Great big chair too. Drug deal, i didn't see a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the header photo! Did you find any good antique shops in Natchez?

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are funny!!! I actually watched those happen a lot where I use to work.

    thanks for stopping by!!! I love this blog for teaching you how to coupon! www.southernsavers.com

    It's wonderful!! have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, you went to Natchez? Why didn't you tell me? I live here and I could have met with you. In fact, I have a booth downtown and I just posted a tour about the House on Ellicott Hill cause I took my garnddaughter on a pilgrimage tour too while she was here on a spring break...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  8. My church seniors went t Natchez recently and I missed the boat....what was I thinking?
    Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have been awarded the Stylish Blogger Award. Stop by todays post to see what you should do. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes, there is a lot of divorced ladies in Blogland, Terri, it does not mean they don't have strong family ties. Funny you should say that. Before we moved to MS, I thought divorce in MS was unheard of too but it turns out there are so divorced couples here....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I LOVE your posts on Natchez--I've always wanted to go! my best friend is from jackson and I need to get to --Natchez, too. Those chairs were great=and you looked awesome sitting in that gilded one, too!!!!!

    Oh, and the fountain in your header looks so European!!!!!!!!!!!

    well, I've rambled on!

    Have a blessed day,
    Lana

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment. I'd love to hear from y'all....