Followers


Snow in Louisiana
Powered by Blogger.

Always in My Heart

My Sweet Twin Grandgirls

Popular Posts

Followers

About Me

My photo
My passion is decorating with vintage and antique finds on a budget. There was a time when I wouldn't have dreamed of going into a goodwill. That day has passed. :) My second love is scrapbooking all those special family moments for posterity, and I recently set up my very own scrapbooking room. I have three beautiful children, two sons and a daughter as well as a sweet (albeit full blooded Yankee) daughter-in-law and two grandgirls. I also enjoy gardening, meeting new friends and relaxing on my patio in the evenings with a glass of fine wine. During the summer of 2001, I spent two glorious weeks at Kennedy Space Center. I've been somewhat of a space geek ever since....
The Background Fairy

My Favorite Blog

Saturday, July 25, 2009

My Christmas in July Tablescape

With the heat index soaring to new levels here in south Louisiana, I set out to design a Christmas in July tablescape without a trip into that furnace of a place called the attic.............. So here goes... Click on the pics to enlarge them for more detail.....

I started out with two nutcrackers from my collection and the little black lantern I purchased at Old Time Pottery when I was down in Foley, Alabama. To that I added two hurricane globes and candlesticks from my mantle and some gold faux grapes that I use on my Christmas tree every year.
Since I've been fawning over Christmas dishes for years but haven't taken the plunge, I used my cheapo white china and the pretty green plum plates with napkin rings from World Market and some vintage napkins I purchased at an antique shop. To add a touch of red, I used more faux grapes that also decorate my tree every year. Below you can see a pretty silverplate server that was a gift from my great aunt Daisy, the original lover of fine things in my family.


The napkins have a damask look about them and I lucked up into finding a pristine set of 6 for $2.00 each...... The black glass chargers were a real find at Hobby Lobby last week for $1.50 each. The original price was $15.00 so I snapped up $90.00 worth of chargers for $9.00! Doesn't that equate to a 90% off sale?


Here's a better look at the glass chargers. They are black with swirls of white in them. I can envision them on a Thanksgiving table with autumn colors as accents...... The pretty champagne flutes were a gift from my mother one Christmas. Being the resourceful woman she is, she made friends with the ladies who work at Tuesday Morning and always called ahead when she saw a great deal on something pretty. They'd oblige by putting several of whatever she had her eye on aside for her. So each Christmas us girls would receive some little "pretty" to unwrap along with a generous gift of cash. It's really sad that my mom's health has declined to the point that she rarely asks to visit Tuesday Morning any longer.....

Below you can see my Christmas gift from my best friend Kim. We found the red toile Twelve Days of Christmas china drastically reduced at Dillard's last year........ I bought her the chip and dip set and she bought me this large serving bowl. Unfortunately, the place settings were all gone but Kim persevered and called Dillard's stores all over the area until she was able to locate service for eight. She drove quite a few miles to collect those dishes and I'm kicking myself for not doing the same.....

Here's another glimpse of the silverplated server with my "new to me" serving piece from that antique shop I mentioned earlier. It was tarnished and tired when I picked it up but a little elbow grease combined with a lemon juice and salt scrub produced a beauty worthy of any table.

I hope you enjoyed my Christmas in July tablescape. Happy Holidays! ;-)

15 comments:

  1. I really like this! Great job! You were brave to go up into the attic! We won't do that in the summer here in FL!

    I wish I had a friend at Tuesday Morning like your mother does!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tablescape! And you have such fabulous indivdual pieces that work so well together! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful job!!! happy to find your blog through the christmas party! I am now following you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful table. Thank you for coming and joining the party today.

    the grapes and the green plates with the beautiful 12 Days of Christmas dish and the nutcrackers all give it a wonderful holiday feel. Lovely job!

    I am so glad to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry X'mas! I love the little details on your Christmas table!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those black glass chargers! I have never seen black even in the plastic ones!
    No Hobby Lobby here..
    Great table..sorry your mom's health isn't good..shopping is such a great spirit lifter...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful table scape! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love that you put it all together yourself from lots of different areas and it looks beautiful :) merry christmas in july

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it!!! Great job. I just love seeing everyone's Christmas in July posts. And I love tablescapes (you can tell by visiting my post).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful table, I'd love to come for dinner! Happy Holidays!

    Shanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful table settings!!!

    Merry Christmas in July!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh WOW another Louisisian.What a beautiful tablescape,And I love nutcrackers.They are very nice.I really enjoyed myself.What part of La are you from.I was born in NO.I now live in Picayune Ms.Hope to talk soon...Merry Christmas in July...Marie Antionette

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous tablescape. I love nutcrackers, but I can't believe the price of some of them! Every year TJMaxx gets a few in and we always have to check out the "before" prices...wow! Merry Christmas in July!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mele Kalikimaka! Maligayang Pasko!
    (still getting around to visit the Christmas parties…since this was our daughter’s last weekend home before flying back to college today!)

    I love your Christmas tablescape...and you are quite brave to get everything from the attic in preparation...our attic is a scorcher spot...and I love the heat!

    ooh and love the platter-Was this a family piece? It's even more special when it's handed down through the family.

    ...hope your mom's health is better. I miss hearing my mom's voice and getting her insight on so much...she was an amazing crafter and finder of great treasurers :o)

    I'm glad you didnt close your party down and that I was able to come for a visit!

    Blessings & Aloha!
    Hope you have a bit of time to come to my family’s Christmas memory party. We're still partying :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi,
    Very beautiful table ,I love the way you have brought so many different elements together and it works. Merry Christmas in july! & you are invited to my visit my party.8-)
    ~Myrna

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment. I'd love to hear from y'all....